Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Color Challenge 01-12-09


This week's color challenge is Kiwi Kiss, Baja Breeze, and Not Quite Navy. I have been wanting to make one of these Top Note boxes for awhile and have been putting it off. Why? I don't know.... because I had to take things off of my Big Shot to get at it and I was being lazy. OK - so that is why.


So this was the perfect time to just do it! Clean up and use your stuff, Kel!! SO here is my final product.
I took 2 pices of Kiwi Kiss CS and ran it through the Big Shot with my Top Note Die. Next, I stamped one of them with the Floral vine stamp from the Fresh Cuts stamp set in Kiwi Kiss ink. On a piece of Shimmery White scrap, I stamped the Lovey Dovey heart from the new Hostess set called "A Little Somethin'" in Not Quite Navy ink. I carefully cut this heart out (since I do not have the new Full heart punch just yet). I used the negative image from cutting out the heart to stipple some Baja Breeze ink. I cut this out too! (I can't wait to get that punch!!) THese were put on top with some Dimensionals.
Now for the box part. I took a piece of Kiwi Kiss CS (11"x 2 1/4") and scored it at 4" and 7" on the 11" side and at 1/4" on the 2 1/4" side. Then I took anothe piece (2 1/4" x 3 1/2") and scored it at 1/4" from each side on the 3 1/2" side(this made the flaps for the sticky strip) and 1/4" on the 2 1/4" side. The 1/4" sides are where I put the Sticky strip to adhere it to the bottom Top Note die. I have to say that if I make this again, I will make the side a little bit smaller. So instead of having a 4"x3" box, I would make it 3 3/4"x2 3/4". I think this will make it a little easier for the top and making sure you don't see the sides of the box peeking out from the top.
For the box top, I took an 11"x 1 1/4" strip and scored it at 3 7/8", 6 3/4", and 10 5/8". The 3/8" left on the end of this strip is a flap for sticky strip. It is also scored at 1/4" on the 1 1/4" side. Then another strip (3 1/8" x 1 1/4") scored at 1/4" on the 3 1/8" side and on the 1 1/4" side. Again all of the 1/4" scores are for sticky strip. I know this probably a little confusing, if you take some card stock and see it, it should make sense... This part was adhered together and then to the top of the box. This fits inside the bottom part to secure the cover.
Finally, I added the Baja Breeze Double stitched ribbon and the Kiwi Kiss/Very Vanilla satin ribbon. The Kiwi ribbon is amazing. This is first time I used it and it definitely will not be the last!
I hope you enjoyed this take on the Top Note box. It would make a great hostess gift, Non-traditional Valentine, or just a little somethin' for someone special!
Kelly

2 comments:

Traci Camardella said...

kel i LOVE this box, now stupid q 4 u, this box won't hold the standard card right? I'm doing my YIAD card class as a shoebox swap & i'm supplying the box project to hold all their finished cards in.
If this doesn't hold them, any ideas on a box that you've seen, made or recommend?
Thanx babe if ur going 2 the meeting 2morrow i won't c u :-(
have my open scrap nite, maybe next month
xoxox

Lorraine said...

What a beautiful box. The colors just pop!